2008-12-23

State of the Blog

It's almost the end of 2008 which means it is time to look at my web site and blog logs!

Japan At Night (C) Stephen Clarke-WillsonFar and away my most popular blog page is this one about low-light photography posted in 2004. The picture "Japan At Night" was downloaded over 47,000 times this year (2008).

The most popular article at my web site is an article by Alvin Lowi called Andrew Galambos and His Primary Property Ideas.

Almost 3,000 people have listened to Jingle Bell Rag this year.

I agree with Jason Calcanis that blogging has changed a lot and will change more in the future. Toward that end I converted my web site at Above the Garage Productions to a Wiki which supports creating a truly hyperlinked corpus better than anything I've used so far.

A couple of people have asked me how I have time to blog. The answer is ... I type fast! I really spend very little time on it each day - maybe 5 or 10 minutes. (Maybe that shows - I don't know.) One great thing about using MediaWiki is that it allows for direct editing (as does Blogger) but it encourages rewriting and refinement and intertwined linking via a straight forward interface. (Plus, we use it at work so the more I learn about it the better.)

It will take a long time to move the interesting stuff out of the blog and into the Wiki in workloads of 10 minutes a day, but I think the result will be worth it to me even if no one reads it. It helps me organize how I think about things and I view it as exercise for my brain.

Thanks to everyone who has visited me in the last year and let's hope that American ingenuity can outpace lunatic politics in the coming years.

______________________________________
Read Nano-Plasm
© 2005-2008 Stephen Clarke-Willson, Ph.D. - All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment