2004-10-12

ACCD Codec

I couldn't burn DVDs for the longest time. I could burn CDs but not DVDs. The symptom was that after starting to burn the DVD, the drive would become inaccessible, get starved for data, and give up.



The question was - why was it becoming inaccessible?



Writing to various tech support people at Plextor and Roxio was useless. "Reinstall the software." Shit.



It turns out the problem was that some software - either from Creative or Real Networks - had an "auto launcher" system that would scan CD and DVD drives for new content in order to automatically launch the correct player. As soon as a little data was written on the DVD, it would grab it, and not let go! Then the DVD burner software would crap out.



This was extremely hard to track down. So I'm posting this in case anyone else has the trouble. Of course, the reason it was hard to track down was because it was an interaction between two different applications. So there was no single customer service organization that could answer my problem.



The Roxio people thought that reinstalling their software would fix some registry keys and clean things up, but they were wrong.



The Creative and/or Real Networks people don't know anything about the Roxio software. I don't know which was the problem because I turned them both off and I've been afraid to turn either one back on! My guess, based on the name ACCD Codec, which showed up in an error log created by Roxio Easy CD Creator, is that the problem was with the Creative Control Center application. This was made more confusing by the fact that one version of Easy CD Creator actually came with a Creative CD drive.



It was a confusing tangle.





7 comments:

  1. I found your comment on ACCD Codec from a search. I would appreciate hearing how you cleaned the registry or other areas for the application. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember the details! But basically try to find the Creative Control Center and turn off anything that looks like an 'auto' play or 'auto' notification.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just noticed that there is an entry in the Control Panel for "Disc Detector" which turns the Creative Disc Detector on and off. Make sure it is off if you are having ACCD errors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the problem is with Roxio audio central. Turn off options to look up cd when inserted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also ran into this problem and with all the suggestions that were posted I could not find any of the options that were listed.
    What I did was just create a new user and the program went back to normal. Now I am able to burn my DVDs again. Good luck and thanks for help. Its good to know there are people out there willing to share information. I will back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's brilliant, actually. Creating a new user name will pretty much give you a fresh set of registry settings (for many programs - some stick their settings in 'local machine' rather than 'current user', in which case you're stuck).

    Cool idea though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the same problem with the disc not being recognized in the DVD drive. Somewhere, I stumbled across the fix: Go to Windows Task Manager and "End Process" for the one that begins with "rx" - which has something to do with Roxio. I really can't tell you anything about the technical part of this--only that it works every time for me. Dottie

    ReplyDelete