2007-08-23

VZ Navigator

VZ Navigator is an application you can download to most Verizon cell phones.

It's a very complete GPS solution. It doesn't use GPS satellites, so you can't use it anywhere. It uses cell towers to triangulate where you are and Verizon enhanced service must be available. On a recent drive to California, VZ Navigator failed to work in southern Oregon.

It's $10.00 a month or $3.00 a day. Which is cool because you can leave it inactive most of the time and just use it when, say, driving to California, or if you get lost. It's a mere $3.00 to get un-lost.

The $10.00 option kind of sucks. It's tied to your billing cycle, which, of course, they failed to explain to me. My usage cross over a billing cycle boundary, so even though I only used it for a couple of weeks, it cost me $20.00. The customer service lady, who was nice and apologetic but didn't fix anything, agreed that if I had bought the monthly package one day before my billing cycle completed, I would get one day of service for $10.00.

Still, compared to a $600.00 or $800.00 portable GPS sytem, even $20.00 is awesome.

There was a problem down in California.

I wanted to drive from Fallbrook, CA to Sea World in San Diego. VZ Navigator sent me on a 371 mile drive instead of the 33 miles it should have been. Luckily I ignored the route it chose.

Here's a picture of the deranged route:

Deranged VZ Navigator Route

It's a little hard to see, but basically the route to San Diego goes all the way up north past LA and then back down San Diego.

© 2007 Stephen Clarke-Willson - All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment