2007-08-24

On e-toll roads, beware 'orphan exit' fee - The Red Tape Chronicles - MSNBC.com

On e-toll roads, beware 'orphan exit' fee - The Red Tape Chronicles - MSNBC.com

The way I read this is that if you don't have the E-ZPass doodad at all in your car, and you drive through the E-ZPass lane, then you won't be registered either getting onto the toll road or getting off.

We were recently in CA and just for fun we took the big fancy CA-73 toll road. It was great - no traffic and only $4.25 extra. We paid at the exit and I truly had no idea what it was going to cost but I figured I could probably afford it once.

E-ZPass is coming (or is here now at the new Tacoma Narrows Bridge?) to Washington as they start to rebuild our old roads. I personally like "Pay as you go" type taxes, so fire away.

1 comment:

  1. A month ago, in Boston, I was on the Di Maggio turnpike or whatever it's called, and I ended up going through the wrong lane at a toll plaza. There didn't seem to be any cash lanes, so I took a chance.

    I had a brief Sonny Corleone moment: there was a booth, but no attendant. I waited for a minute, and when no hail of bullets descendedl I drove right on through.

    But at the next plaze, I was busted. Instead of a buck, I had to pay the default five. I was so glad I hadn't been riddles with bullets, I didn't mind at all. And it was all expense-able anyhow...

    jack

    ReplyDelete