2007-05-08

What happened when I followed The Secret's advice for two months. - By Emily Yoffe - Slate Magazine

What happened when I followed The Secret's advice for two months. - By Emily Yoffe - Slate Magazine:

So, I vowed to follow Byrne's simple rules for abundance and see what happened. The book encourages one to start big: "It is as easy to manifest one dollar as it is to manifest one million dollars." But I thought starting with the million-dollar manifestation was like saying, "I love you" on a first date; I didn't want to scare the universe into not taking my calls. I came up with three things I thought the universe would find reasonable: a kitchen floor, unclogged sinuses, and a new desk.

At this point I should add that The Secret is not only drivel—it's pernicious drivel. The obvious question that arises from its claim that it's easy to get what you want, is: Why do so many people get what they don't want? As Byrne writes, "Imperfect thoughts are the cause of all humanity's ills, including disease, poverty, and unhappiness." Yes, according to The Secret, people don't just randomly end up being massacred, for example. They are in the wrong place because of their own lousy thinking. Cancer patients have long been victims of this school of belief. But The Secret takes it to a new and more repulsive level with its advice not just to blame people for their illness, but to shun them, lest you start being infected by their bummer thoughts, too.


The Secret is Christian Science all over again.

Why do so many people get what they don't want? As Byrne writes, "Imperfect thoughts are the cause of all humanity's ills, including disease, poverty, and unhappiness." Yes, according to The Secret, people don't just randomly end up being massacred, for example.


I was raised a Christian Scientist, until I was 20, so this is familiar territory. I had horrible acne in High School. After praying over it for 2 years, it finally went away. Although I suspect it had less to do with praying and more to do with washing my face once a day with clean non-soapy water. I had Chicken Pox when I was about six; it went away after three weeks of praying.

To be sure, our thoughts affect us a great deal. The brain is the biggest gland in the body. My one healing in Christian Science was when I was stung by a bee and my hand was swelling up. My Dad came in and said, "That's not necessary!" He said it with such authority and I was so afraid of him that the swelling went away. But that's actually just hypnotism and suggestion and/or perhaps activating some glandular part of your brain.

Also, to be sure, when a person with great personal power like Steve Jobs says, "I'm going to dominate the digital media world," it comes true. Now Jobs is saying, "I'm going to get rid of our lame copy protection system and sell unprotected MP3s!" and it might come true. But if Joe Blow says that, not much is going to happen.

I think the problem with Christian Science and books like The Secret are that they overstate the case. Positive thinking is good. Focusing on what you want is good - shit, even figuring out what you want is good. But deciding the universe is at your beck and call is bad. Even Gates, one of the most powerful people on the planet, chooses his battles. His company dominates in a couple of areas and as far as the big money goes, that's where Microsoft focuses. Everything else is a dalliance, and the chief owner knows it. Now Gates is focusing on certain medical issues world-wide. He's not just throwing his money anywhere. Likewise with Oprah - she's focusing her charitable work in places she cares about. Then you have Al Gore standing up for global warming but since he's not quite focused and has errors in his presentation he might end up doing more harm than good in the long run.

"As a man thinketh in his heart so is he," (Proverbs 23:7) I believe the author was talking about character, not control of the universe.

(BTW, I recommend, Christian Science, by Mark Twain.)

2 comments:

  1. Dear Friend -

    I am sorry that your experience of Christian Science was not more positive...but thank you for linking to the website on your blog. That shows a spirit of fair play (I'm a Brit!!!) which is admirable and appreciated.

    You also link to the Mark Twain take on Christian Science, which is fair enough. Woven into his general criticisms in that book are a couple of very admiring statements too...!

    All I can say, is that in my experience - and I have had several healings through Christian Science for which I am extremely grateful - when it is practiced properly it is nothing like you describe the Secret. Christian Science is all about knowing God's love and letting that consciousness of God's love for all guide into spiritual growth and spiritual rewards, i.e. not into material riches but into deeper spiritual experiences...such as the all-important one of better loving your neighbour as yourself.

    Admittedly, to love your neighbour as yourself it helps to love yourself in the first place...and time and again I have found that God's love lifts me mentally and spiritually to a new view of my relationship to God, and that in turn brings physical healing, and needed supply...

    But by supply I do not mean making millions of dollars...I certainly haven't! But more what Paul said when he stated "God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work" (II Cor 9:8 God)

    (Once, for instance, when I was totally broke, but no-one knew it, I was praying to understand God's provision for one and all and a young man who was on Social Security himself turned up on my doorstep with a meal he wanted to share with me...and I was able to share some Christian thoughts to encourage him!)

    Anyhow...I just wanted to say, really, that I share your skepticism about The Secret, and I would feel the same about Christian Science too if I hadn't found it (a) deeply Christian, and (b) effective in bringing about healing.

    All the best.

    Tony L.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We suspect that British Tony L. is Tony Lobl, the Christian Science church's lobbying and public relations manager for Greater London.

    In the January, 2007, issue of the Christian Science Journal Tony Lobl wrote: "The immortal Christ, the very expression of life itself, can raise the dying and dead to life just as Jesus and his disciples proved. And this is entirely realistic today for spiritual healers following Jesus' example and adhering to the laws of God, just as Jesus did 2,000 years ago."

    Yes, Christian Science is dangerous as it encourages members to believe that sick children do not need medical care and even if their children die, Christian Science will raise them back to life.

    ReplyDelete