2023-06-01

Music - MIDI - South Coast Plaza

South Coast Plaza is a shopping mall in Southern California.

Inside was (is still?) the Carousel Court.

The Carousel Court included a clock which would "ding dong" every hour or maybe every 15 minutes. I dunno.

Clock with bells:



For unknown reasons I decided to actually compose a song with that "ding dong" (first->lower fifth) chime as the theme.

When I say "compose" I mean that I actually thought about what I was doing, recording it in MIDI, making modifications, and tweaking it a lot, as opposed to my improv pieces where I mostly just sat down and screwed around for an hour or two.

The bird chirp sounds at the start and end are because of a tune I learned about in a music class in college where some famous dude had composed an orchestral piece of some kind based on birds chirping. I felt my simple "ding dong" theme was reminiscient of that so I added in some bird chirps at the start and end.

As you listen, you'll hear that the piece is quite a bit more complex than "ding dong" but that was the basis!