2023-02-11

Sunflower Slow Drag


Scott Joplin is the greatest ragtime composer ever.  He re-became famous when his music was featured in the movie The Sting.  Around 1900 he became the first musician to sell a million copies of sheet music for a single tune.

Sunflower Slow Drag is a complex piece which I reduced to two notes at a time and programmed into my Alf-9000 music synthesizer, which was an add-in card for the Apple II.

(Wikipedia says it was called the MC1 but for some reason I recall it as the Alf-9000.)

I later wrote a program that converted the "M:" files, as they were known, into ascii, which was then turned into a Cakewalk .wrk file by a program you could get from Twelve Tone Systems.

Here is an mp3 of the data I entered into the Alf program rendered I think using the midi player on a PC since it cuts off early (ugh).  Remember - the original rag is fairly complex (you can find performances on YouTube) and this was reduced down by me to just two notes at a time - one for each hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment