2023-01-10

The Speed

My original hypothesis was slowing down the Xfinity modem would make less use of the higher frequencies (which are more subject to interference) and my problems would be solved.

As it is, I think, from something one of the techs told me, that slower modems are just configured to run more slowly, and still use all the frequencies.

But!  I wanted to get a speed reduction from Comcast because my modem used to work before we bumped it up to gigabit.  It wasn't a pretty process.  They kept saying they had me on a new, cheaper, and slower plan, but it didn't work, and there was no confirmation email.

Once I mentioned Starlink I got a real tech on the line who configured the modem (and my billing plan) to slower (and cheaper).

I bought the slowest plan they had - 300 megabits - and then a few months later they cranked it up to 400 megabits for the same price!  So I'm at 400 megabits, which usually will go up to 440.

I suspect since the bad connector was fixed that I could go back to gigabit ... just not feeling like taking the risk right now.

One benefit of getting the slower plan (because Comcast screwed up) was my premium channels went away.  So Comcast cut the cord for me.

Thanks Comcast!

[2023-11-14 - back up to a gigabit and things are working!  My previous poor performance was caused by a single bad connector that was out of site in a bush.]



No comments:

Post a Comment