2008-07-17

Speed Blogging

Someone at worked asked me how I have any time for blogging.

The answer is ... Google Toolbar! Without Google Toolbar's "Send To" blogging grinds to a halt. I know because it was disabled for awhile when I upgraded to Firefox 3.

It takes all of about three minutes for a typical pithy remark blog post. Someone sends me a link or I see one go by on Twitter or some newsreader feed and I think of a pithy remark and so I just select some text, hit Send To Blogger, add a remark, and hit publish. I read it, see (almost) all of the typos, fix 'em, and I'm done.

Most blog posts have something to do with real life. For instance, E3 just happened and a ton of video announcements were made. There was just another one today about Amazon switching to a browser-based streaming model for video. This is interesting to me in general as a guy whose major career points have involved digital media; but also because I just installed DD-WRT on my brand new Linksys WRT54GL routers. Besides rock-solid performance, the DD-WRT software keeps track of your bandwidth, and makes cool bar charts. So I know we've been using 2-5 gigabytes of bandwidth a day; and in the context of Comcast suggested that 40 gigabytes a month is plenty ... I'm thinking NO! But I know Comcast is basically right - there's too much video being downloaded. They like to blame the P2P people but seriously the issue is video. So without doing anything special other than using YouTube a lot, I find that my family is allegedly at the outer limits of what Comcast thinks is reasonable bandwidth usage.

So I'm very interested in these video announcements, because video downloading and streaming is only going up! up! up! and my family is already using a ton of it.

So this post is quite a bit longer ... but then I'm writing it at night 'cause I couldn't sleep. But most posts are short and really only take three minutes to create. I've been doing this since (I think) 1997 and so I've had a lot of practice at creating pithy remarks.


______________________________________
Buy Nano-Plasm Soft Cover
© 2005-2008 Stephen Clarke-Willson, Ph.D. - All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment