2007-12-19

OLPC - First impressions



The photo was taken from the OLPC and uploaded via the built-in web browser.

The OLPC doesn't come with a manual - and it doesn't really need one.

My son Thomas (age 12) just jumped in and started fooling with it.

It's dark here in Seattle during the winter, so I can't tell you what the display is like in bright sunshine, but it looks like it will be very nice, but that's just a guess from turning the brightness down.

The display has four pixels that are semi-stuck on.

It takes it awhile to hook up to WiFi. I had to enter the key four times before it "took". The icons are not obvious either - I had to look those up online from another computer.

Running lots of activities seems to bog it down.

It's pretty lightweight.

I'm looking forward to trying it out as an eBook reader with my draft of Nano-Plasm.

All in all, for a little more money than a DS Lite, it's a pretty bitchen machine, and we've only scratched the surface of what it can do.

Visit Laptop.org to participate in the "Give One, Get One" promotion, currently scheduled to end on December 31, 2007.

© 2007 Stephen Clarke-Willson - All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. I just got mine last night - I had just about given up on getting the laptop before Christmas, having not received any word that it had shipped.

    As I was poking around the various OLPC Wiki pages, I noticed somebody say that the eBook reader seems to work acceptably up to around books of 4.5 MB. I've been looking forward to using the XO as a reader, too, but if a full-length (adult) book isn't within the eBook reader's capabilities, I might read Project Gutenberg books in raw text format.

    Alternately, I could play NetHack and Zork on it:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/tsmaster/sets/72157603522967083/

    ReplyDelete