2007-11-11

Mario Galaxy

I seem to have a copy of Mario Galaxy a little before it goes on sale tomorrow.

I've played it a bit. One of my children has finished it. It takes a little getting used to - the nun-chuck is used for moving and the standard Wii remote is used to grabbing and shaking and spinning.

I love that it runs at 60 fps. Very few games pull it off. 60 fps looks so much more "real" than 30 fps (and lots of games drop to 20 fps). It's simple arithmetic - you can draw 3x the stuff at 20 fps as you can at 60 fps, so to get a 60 fps game going you need to make some simplifications. (Those football games that run at 60 fps are amazing bits of engineering.)

I don't have a lot of time to play games, sadly. When I do have time, I usually play the game that's made where I work. I have about 280+ hours into that. (One of my kids has 2400 hours into it. She knows everything about it. She's a very helpful resource.)

When I was working on console games, I played console games. When I was working on PC games, I played PC games. Now that I'm working on a massive MMO, I have no time for other games. I don't think this is an unusual experience in the MMO world. The good ones consume all your game playing time.

Oh wait, this is about Mario Galaxy. Yeah, looks pretty good.

© 2007 Stephen Clarke-Willson - All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

  1. It's actually great! Is it a 97? I don't know what that even means anymore! Me, not being an MMO or FPS or RPG or RTS or TBS player. . .well, this hits the sweet spot, along with games like Rayman, Super Monkey Ball, Warioware, etc. I like your game too, even though it's outside my normal zone. The thing I find cool about MMOs is that players end up exploring the game to points and under conditions the creators may never have thought of (or accounted for). I guess that's one reason many of them begin patching you when you log in.

    It's like that guy who is the king of donkey kong...no one ever thought anyone would get that far.

    ReplyDelete