2005-07-12

Heavenly Sword Developed By Ninja Theory Next Generation Games Developer In Cambridge UK

Heavenly Sword Developed By Ninja Theory Next Generation Games Developer In Cambridge UK

Wow. I wouldn't want to say anything bad about Microsoft Game Studio's Marketing and PR. Luckily this guy says it for me.

It's weird at MS. Sometimes a game (like Project Gotham Racing) will have a super-enthusiastic Program Manager and the marketing guys will have him talk to the press and things go great!

On Halo, that's what Ed Fries did - he knew the game and went out there and hyped the hell out of it. He did a really good job!

Other times they'll put a guy that used to sell sportswear in front of the press, and it all goes to hell.

I don't get it. It's some kind of cultural weirdness there that allows such a thing.

I'm serious. I really don't get it. The usual excuse, 'we grew really fast', won't work anymore. I think there is just something about their culture at MS that says, 'a good marketing guy can sell anything.' But guess what - that's not true!

Especially in games. Game journalists can smell fake gamers a mile away.

1 comment:

  1. It's crazy how much effort it takes to get anything new made these days.

    The company I work for talks a lot about innovation. But any time you try, they shoot it down for sounding risky or ambitious.

    I'm sure in mgmt's minds, they just wonder why can't anyone just come up with something brand new that we've already done before!

    ReplyDelete