2005-04-20

4.2.2.1

Comcast had a DNS outage a week ago. And I've noticed sporadic DNS failures in general. Comcast has grown really big as a network and so perhaps it's just growing pains.

Anyway, if you find yourself DNS-less, you can easily remember this number: 4.2.2.1. You can also remember 4.2.2.2, which is a secondary DNS server. These are servers from GTE I think.

You can plug them into your router or computer DNS entries and get right back in business.

I used to know Microsoft's DNS servers which are quite reliable but I can't find the numbers anymore. So I'm going with 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2 which are very easy to remember in a pinch and are working fine for me.

[Update 2024-05-07 - In modern times a lot of people use Google's which is very fast and the most up-to-date of any I've seen:  8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4]


© 2005 Stephen Clarke-Willson - All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment